Steaming mussels is one of the simplest ways of cooking them and letting their natural sea flavor come out. But if you want to add a layer of flavor and texture to mussels, here’s a quick and easy recipe for cooking mussels at home using few ingredients. This would work with other shellfish too!
- 1 kg of mussels
- olive oil
- 50 g butter
- 50 g garlic, chopped
- 50 g shallots or red onions, chopped
- 50 g tomatoes, chopped
- 25 g spring onions, chopped
- 250 ml white wine
- 120 ml cream
- chopped parsley (for garnish)
- Grease the pot with olive oil and melt butter.
- Add shallots or red onions and garlic. Let it sweat for about two minutes.
- Add white wine and mussels, and put the lid on the pot. Let it cook for about 10 minutes or until the mussels open.
- Remove the mussels from the pot then add the tomatoes and the spring onions into the pot.
- When the tomatoes are cooked, add the cream and let the sauce thicken. Stir as needed.
- After achieving the desired consistency of the sauce, add the mussels back and mix well to coat the mussels with the sauce.
- Plate and garnish with chopped parsley.
Do you know other ways of cooking mussels? Share on the comments below!